Friday, August 15, 2008

All about me




Everything is going well here in Namibia. This particular photo is of Aron, my host brother, and I and our garden. This was nothing but a flat patch of sand, and after 30 wheelbarrows of soil and some patience we have this. Those are tomatoes in the back creeping up the fence to my yard.

Otherwise my time here is winding up. I tried to apply for an extension, but that didn't go through so in December I am back, for the time being. I plan on attending graduate school someplace.

Here everything is calm. Exams just finished for the second term. I'm going to relax for a few days and then go hiking with some friends in the Fish River Canyon in the south of Namibia. It's the second biggest canyon in the world behind the Grand Canyon, you know. The students from Chipping Norton left a week and a half ago, so everything is calming down from those guys. They did some really wonderful things for the school and they interacted with the kids. My kids are becoming addicted to interaction with non-Namibians. They practiced with me some questions they wanted to ask the visitors and they were impressed. Otherwise, its just a matter of winding down. We had a youth conference planned for way back in July, but the funding 'fell through' so thats been indefinitely postponed, probably to never. Its a bummer because we worked so hard on it and even had made some bookings for accommodations and what not, but it wasn't meant to happen.

I am looking way forward to coming home in December and I'll see you then.

No comments: