Thursday, February 21, 2008

I Eat Flexibiltiy for Breakfast

Peace Corps has drilled the cach phrases "Patience" and "Fliexibiltiy" into its voluneteers from staging in Washington DC to training in Namibia, and now it is the mantra of Group 26. One must always keep these two ideas in mind in everything that you do. Point in Case:

This week I was supposed to have a meeting for the Norhtern Girls Conferrence ( a story for another time). Transport is in such a way that I was goign to be late unless I could find another way to get to town. My reward came in the form of one of my colleagues that was going at an exotically early time on the day that I needed to be there. He said that he would pick me up at 5:30 AM!!

At 3:45 the appointed morning, i recieved a miss call on my cell phone. My partially functioning brain was having thoughts as such as "No Way!". Shortly thereafter I see headlights shining on the side of my house. "Please, just be a coincidence", but indeed my ride had showed up 1 hour and 45 minutes early. Being the flexible individual I am, grabbed my things that were already packed and headed out the door, in remarkably little time. No shower, no breakfast, not even a swig of cold water.

I sideled up to the baaki, squished in the front seat, and we proceeded through the night, dodging frogs and small rivers in the direction of Uukwiyu, the next village. After arriving in pseudo civilization, it happens that we have a flat tire. Lovely. Luckily all the needed tools and a spare tire were present, and we were shortly at work. The amazing thing was that when I was getting dressed by flashliht earlier, I had miraculously stuffed the head lamp in the pocket of my jeans. Aftera fe minutes of clanging around in the dark, it dawned on me, and I produced said lamp. To a round of chcukles and applause, our work was finished properly, and we proceeded to town.

The beautiful part was that the meeting was postponed until the next weekend.

Note: It can always get darker, and you can never be too prepared.

No comments: