Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sweet!


In a ongoing of process of bringing vernacular to the people of Namibia, I have taught the adolescents in my sphere of influence the term 'Sweet!'. It was completely by accident when I had no absences in my Grade 10 English class and it caught on. Aron, my host brother, has ran with it the furthest. I explained to him, that one can say Sweet! when somethng exciting happnes, but also, one can be more low key, like when a girl says soemthing nice to you.

A couple of nights ago, I was sitting by the cooking fire, like I am prone to do when times are slow, and the fire went out, leaving burning embers. I blew on the fire and it started again. Behind me, Aron says "sweet", and then he says "Sir, that was a small sweet, not like when soemthing really nice happens".

Trying to save the country single handedly, but after I am gone, "Sweet" will still live on.

No comments: